One of the things I want to make sure that I do with this feature is give a voice to less traditional dance styles, as well as young performers who are putting their heart into what they do. To that end, today I would like to share with you some words from a young dancer who lives in Beloit, Wisconsin.
Here is 18-year-old Javin Rogers…
1. What type of dance do you do?
2. How did you get into this style of dance?
I saw the way Usher and Micheal Jackson danced and it automatically made me want to be just like them.
3. What is it about dancing that you enjoy?
When im dancing I feel free and I love entertaining people. That makes me really enjoy dancing.
4. Can you tell me a little bit about the moves in hip hop?
There are alot of different styles in hip hop dance and the moves come about through the styles.
5. How do you learn new moves?
Practice and lots of music videos.
6. Where do you perform?
I perform for local artists, and talent shows.
7. What makes a good hip hop dancer?
Technique and the will to never give up.
8. Has the style changed at all since you started doing it?
The style changes a lot, theres a new twist on dancing every month.
9. What do you see coming up in this type of dance?
I think hip hop dance will always have some thing different to learn and it will make you step your game up.
10. What advice would you give to others who want to learn how to do hip hop?
I would tell them to practice every day, never let someone say you can’t do something, have fun but take it seriously.