1. How did the idea for Neville Dance Theatre come about?
2. How would you describe the company to someone who has never seen them perform?
Theatrical, contemporary ballet with world dance infusions.
3. There is a definite cross-cultural aspect to the company—can you expand on why you decided to focus in on that?
By fostering an artistic exchange of styles, outlooks and attitudes, we gain a deeper appreciation for the similarities and differences of one another’s cultures, nationalities and expressions, as well as for the world in which we live and the beauty, value and significance of dance as a living art form. Who wouldn’t want that?
4. What do the dancers themselves bring to the company?
Every dancer has their own unique story, background and especially nowadays, versatility. While all my dancers must have an exceptionally strong, ballet background, I am just as interested in what else they can bring to the company regarding other areas of specialty, whether it be Middle Eastern dance, hip-hop, flamenco or even Capoiera. And then it gets really interesting, cause as we all begin to learn from each other, a very real appreciation begins to take hold, not just for the varying styles of dance, but for each other individually as well as culturally, and THAT is really the heart of it all!
5. What is on the immediate horizon for Neville Dance Theatre?
6. Where do you see the company five years from now?
Continuing to create and present works in the New York area and in theatres and festivals across the country and beyond!