Dance Chicago, in conjunction with the Cliff Dwellers Arts Foundation, gave awards to several choreographers this year–including the Choreographer of the Year, Sam Cortez (Mexican Dance Ensemble). Mr. Cortez was selected based on the volume and depth of the seven distinctive works he created.
In addition to the Choreographer of the Year award, otheres were selected to receive the Dance Chicago Outstanding Choreographer (Body of Work) Award for their significant contributions to the 2010 festival, they are:
- Billy Siegenfeld (Jump Rhythm Jazz Project)
- Chris Courtney (Culture Shock Chicago, Chicago Dance Crash)
There were also awards for Outstanding Choreography (New Voice):
- Melinda Wilson (Curie Metropolitan High School for the Performing & Technical Arts)
- Jessica Deahr (Chicago Dance Crash, Independent Dancers)
And finally, The Dance Chicago Outstanding Choreography Award (Team Choreography) was awarded to:
- Trae Turner, Angelina Grima, Susan Skrzymowski (BOOM CRACK! Dance Company)
Congratulations to all of the participants and winners this year!